Sunday, July 24, 2011

Vulnerability, Trusting, Blessings

The past week has certainly been an adventure, a time of trusting, a time of praying, a time of excitement and anticipation, and a time of realizing that this summer and my time in Uganda is coming to a close. 
This week I started in Rockoko and I loved being there. The people were so eager to be rehabilitated and eager for the gospel. There were approximately 400 people who completed the Empower rehabilitation program and I don’t have an exact figure but many of the people also accepted Christ! Praise God! On the day of their graduation from the program there was a mission trip team from the U.S. that was visiting so all of the participants put together various skits and dances to perform for the visitors. The Acholi people are truly beautiful, creative, and inspiring; I have been so blessed to learn from them and to live alongside them these past few months. Their growing fervor to glorify the Lord and make His name known to all people is incredible. How great is our God that He has brought healing to these beautiful people who have been viciously tormented for decades and that as a result they will make His name famous. All I can think of is the Chris Tomlin song “God of this City” with the lyrics that say “Greater things have yet to come and greater things are still to be done in this city”- God is moving in Gulu, people’s hearts are turning to Him, and He has so much planned for this city.
A small side note compared to the greatness of God working in the camp, I got sick while I was there. I’m fairly certain it was malaria, I didn’t actually get tested (I really don’t like getting blood drawn ;) ) but based on the number of times I’ve been bitten by mosquitoes (approximately 500 times), fever, achiness, chills, headache, fatigue and cyclical nature of the symptoms, malaria is the most likely. But God is healing me J I feel wonderful now, thank the Lord.   
Furthermore… my niece was born on Wednesday!!! I was still in the camp anxiously awaiting the news but when the news came it also came with news of struggle during delivery. Hearing this news while being so far away from home was extremely difficult, but just as in every trial God is teaching me something. The Lord has been revealing to me more and more that I must learn how to be vulnerable in the Christian community so that I may share my burden with others; I am surrounded by people who want to ‘do life’ with me so why in the world do I try and carry burdens alone. This past week has been one of those times when I tried to carry everything alone; I didn’t want to tell anyone I was sick because I didn’t want to impose on anyone and I didn’t want to share with anyone how scared I was for my sister and my niece or how badly I wished I was home to be with my family during this time. But as I said the Lord is teaching me how to be more open with those around me. God has provided me with community among these lovely ladies and the trauma team for a reason; fellowship with other believers is important for a reason. So all of that to say that I am trying to be more open and vulnerable so that I don’t isolate myself from people who are so loving, encouraging, and, most importantly, filled with the Lord.
Despite the difficulties though Alli and the baby are doing well now, all glory to God! As of the early hours of Friday morning I still didn’t know my niece’s name. When Alli and Chad were ready to announce her name my mom called me in the middle of the night here and said “quick, call your sister!” Somewhat in a panic I called Allison, she quickly put my mind at east that nothing was wrong but that she wanted to tell me the name of her newest angel. The phone reception here is awful but I heard Alli say that her name is Lucy Breanne. I immediately burst into tears- I have never felt so honored in all my life. To my beloved sister- our hearts have always had a special bond and you are my best friend. I am truly speechless when it comes to expressing my gratitude for you sharing my name with your precious daughter. What a gift! I cannot wait to get home and hold her J and I cannot wait to hug you, my dear sister.
So, it has been an eventful week filled with wonderful times of growing, trusting, and being showered with blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Sister, I love you so much. I cannot wait to see you! Again, I wish you were here, but even more I wish we could all come and join you with the wonderful work that you've been a part of these last 2 months. I'm so inspired by you and by what you're allowing God to do for you and through you. I've been impacted every day just by knowing that you're there being obedient to God's call. I cannot wait to be near you again and to hear all the stories, and to see what God will do to us Carpenters, through your willingness to serve! I feel like things are going to change, and that God is going to use you as the catalyst. You are such a powerful woman of God and I cannot wait to talk with you. I love you to the moon and back!

    -Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kels, I am so proud of you for opening your heart and learning to let others in and be vulnerable. You know I've struggled with that too and so it fills my heart to know you are growing in such a wonderful way.

    I am so excited for you to come home. Enjoy your remaining days! :-)

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete