Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Learning

June 20, 2011
Just to provide a little bit more background I want to explain more about Watoto and where the Trauma team is currently housed.  The ministries run under Watoto Church include Watoto Childcare Ministries (where the orphans are given a mother, a family, a home, an education, and healthcare in a Watoto Village), Baby Watoto (babies are taken in and kept until they are 2 years old then they graduate to the villages), and Living Hope (a ministry that offers the most vulnerable and marginalized women in Uganda an opportunity to make an income- restoring dignity in spite of suffering from HIV, mutilations, rape or other devastating diseases or experiences). There may be more ministries but these are the ones I am aware of and currently the Trauma team works from the Living Hope facility in Gulu. As a result of being at this facility I have had the tremendous opportunity to interact with some of these women just a little bit.
Every morning we have devotions together, again they are often in Acholi but people here have been so gracious about translating for me. The women begin by singing praises, and I honestly don’t know if I have heard a more beautiful sound than all of their voices together in their gorgeous language. Then one of the staff members from Living Hope or the Trauma team shares devotions and the time is closed with prayer.  Last week I was asked to lead the devotion- all I could think was “what in the world would I have to share with these women who have experienced so much- I have lived an extraordinarily blessed life free of many of the concerns they must encounter daily” But I said I would do it in spite of myself and the Lord has been teaching me so much so I thought I would simply share what I have been learning. This is the outline of what I wanted to share with the ladies but funny as it is as I was printing this out the morning I was to share the power went out so I had to wing it without notes J
Good morning ladies- my name is Kelsie and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to come and share with you this morning. This past week the Lord has been teaching me and correcting my lifestyle and a habit I have.
Let me begin by telling you something about myself; I often lived in fear though the Lord has just recently helped me to label exactly what has been crippling me. From the tiniest, meaningless things such as bugs and whether or not people approve of me to significant matters such as fearing that I will make mistakes that will cause me to not follow God’s plan for my life. I have lived most of my life in constant fear.
This is an extremely exhausting way to live- before I put on my shoes I shake them, pound them against something to make sure there are not any bugs inside that will bite me when I put my foot in. I look at least 10 times before crossing the street hoping to not get hit. Also, before I make any decisions I agonize about them, wondering what the right choice is, fearing that I will make the wrong decision.  Not only is this an exhausting way to live, but by choosing to live in fear I have robbed myself of claiming the freedom I have because I belong to Christ. Also, I have robbed myself of living with the Holy Spirit as my guide by trying to plan for all situations, fearing all situations.
This past week, a friend lovingly brought to my attention how living in such fear is the same as being in prison- I have no freedom by living that way. Furthermore, I was being sinful by constantly being afraid.
So now I would like to share with you the scripture that has been helping me to reform my habit of being fearful.
First and foremost, when we surrender our lives to Christ and choose to become one of his followers he blesses us with the Holy Spirit- for me this is such a tremendous comfort because I am not alone, ever.
                In John 14:25-27 Jesus is preparing his disciples for his crucifixion, resurrection, and the time that would follow. Jesus said to them “All this I have spoke while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
And so by Christ sending the Holy Spirit to be with us we should not only be motivated to live according to God’s purpose and according to his will but also we experience the comfort and peace that can only come from the Lord as we encounter circumstances that cause anxiety and fear. Also, Christ commands for us to not be afraid because he has given us the resources to live without fear. 
Furthermore, when examining the characteristics of the Holy Spirit I found 2 Timothy 1:7 which says “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
Therefore, because we have the Holy Spirit we have power, boldness, and courageousness to face anything that may come into our paths. How wonderful that God has blessed us with the Spirit, and by the Lord teaching me to not live in fear I have realized that I have not been allowing the Spirit to lead as I should- but now I know that when I am afraid, the Spirit gives me courage, when I feel timid and shy, the Spirit provides me with boldness, when I feel like I cannot endure, the Spirit helps me to persevere.
At times though I need reassurance of these promises so that I will not return to living in such fear and when such times arise I plan on finding comfort in these verses:
                Romans 8:28, 31, 35, 37-39 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” “What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?” “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels, nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
I love verse 37 We are more than conquerors of all these things through Christ- wow! What a tremendous encouragement that whatever comes our way, Christ has made us conquerors.
The Lord is teaching me to reform my habit of living in fear and I want to encourage you to remember that because we belong to Christ we have been given the Holy Spirit who comforts us and gives us peace. The Spirit is bold and courageous when we are not. And remember also that you are a child of the God of the whole universe and therefore absolutely nothing can separate us from his love; though we may encounter terrifying circumstances, we can face them without fear because we know that the Lord’s love will endure through all things.
Thank you again for allowing me to share with you what the Lord is teaching me. I pray God blesses each and every one of you and reminds you of his promises and blessings. 
I am unworthy to have had the opportunity to share with these women, but I am thankful that the Spirit spoke through me.  I am also thankful for the Lord’s leading and revealing to me this habit I have but also that he forgives me and provides me with the resources to change this lifestyle. I would like to ask for prayer that the Lord continues to strengthen me in not being afraid.
Also, the Trauma team has been encountering an astounding number of cases of epilepsy in the IDP camps; if we could pray for healing for these people. I do not know if their condition is physical or spiritual but by the amount of people being affected there is something strange occurring. Also please pray for the team as they encounter people with such horrific conditions; their hearts break for all they encounter. May the Lord strengthen them and carry the burden for them.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful words Kelsie. I am so happy that you are learning about yourself on this adventure. :-) I cannot wait to talk to you about it!

    I am praying!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete