Friday, June 17, 2011

How many cows are you worth? ;)

I have so much to share but have only a little bit of time so I will only share a funny little story for now.

When we first went to the IDP Camp in Oyam the trauma team introduced me as being from a village on the other side of a river but that I grew up in America. They said they usually do this with white visitors as a joke and to release the tension of having a foreigner being part of the sessions. But some of these villagers thought the team was serious and later went to the 'mayor' because they wanted my contact information to find out if I was their sister... oh boy! So when we met with the 'mayor' later on he took the whole issue very seriously and really believed I was from the area. He said that my potential brothers had come looking for my contact information with the hopes of confirming that I was their sister so that they may collect the dowry I would be worth.  The team thought this was hilarious and asked how many cows my dowry would be and apparently I am worth 12 cows... not too shabby ;) Hahaha, we all had a good laugh over it :) But don't worry Mom and Dad, we didn't give them my contact information and one of the team members, Joel, is responsible for handling any of my 'brothers' :)

3 comments:

  1. lol, that's awesome!!!!!!
    I love it!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Thats great, I think when you get back, well start rating things on how many cows they should be worth. "That lamp, definitely 1 cow, maybe a half, like a baby cow, and that couch, 2 cows, for sure" Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! So funny that we had the 'how many cows you'd be worth' before you left. haaa I just love your posts sweetie. Dad read them and was in awe. Love you darlin'. Praying for you each and everyday! Oh, Katie got quite the giggle out of this story.

    ReplyDelete